View Single Post
Old 09-12-2010, 08:07 PM   #5
Doug Pardee
Zealot
Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.

Device: B&N NOOK 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopping five View Post
The touch screen has suddenly come on when nobody is touching it and it's sleeping in airplane mode.
[snip]
Twice the screen saver changed itself during a sleep period.
If this only occurs a few times a day, it's normal. The NOOK will occasionally come out of Sleep Mode to "phone home" for an automatic "Check for new B&N Content". In particular, it's checking to see if new periodical issues are available.

This is also the reason that the screen saver changes during Sleep Mode. When the NOOK wakes up and goes back to sleep, the screen saver changes.

Obviously it can't phone home if it's in Airplane Mode, but it wakes up anyway. My guess is that it can't check to see if airplane mode is on while it's asleep.

If it's doing this a lot, that's a cause for concern. A few people have reported their NOOKs automatically doing repeated wake/sleep/wake/sleep cycles, resulting in a rapid discharge of the battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopping five View Post
often when I tap the 'n' nothing happens. If I keep tapping it in different ways, eventually it'll work. I may not have the right touch yet for that.
The "n" key does not respond to a single "tap". It responds to either a "touch" (touch it for a couple of seconds), or to a double-tap.

Last edited by Doug Pardee; 09-12-2010 at 08:13 PM.
Doug Pardee is offline   Reply With Quote