View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 10:39 PM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Let me start by agreeing with you, if all you want is limited access to your calibre library via calibre's content server then Calibre Companion isn't for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyndersk View Post
I just wanted to let you know that Aldiko can connect to my Calibre library - the same as with CC.
There are many readers that connect to calibre's content server. The limitation of connecting via the content server is one book at a time. So saying "the same as with CC" is very deceptive because connecting to content server isn't CC's primary way of connecting to calibre and is a very small part of what CC does.

Quote:
Not that I am trying to bash CC, it's an okay program if you want to do the wireless thing...
The "wireless thing" as you describe it allows me to connect to calibre as a device. I am able to send 2000+ books to my Nexus 7 in under 20 minutes. Further more if I desire I can setup CC so all my comics go to one directory, my PDFs to a second directory, my ePubs to a third directory and my mobis to another directory.

Utilizing CC I can easily group and sort by most every major metadata category I have in calibre, including custom metadata. I have a user category setup called All by Author that sorts all of my books by author, series and title in one list. I have another that sorts by books read or not read.

If I launch a ePub from CC it automatically opens in the reader of my choice. The same is true for other ebook formats.

Quote:
Now if you could modify the data related to the books, like change the rating after you have read it, mark it as read etc right from within CC, then I can see the advantage
You can not do this from CC, but as I update the ratings, books read, covers etc... in calibre the next time I connect to calibre as a wireless device it takes about a minute and a half to update the metadata of all the 2000+ books on my device. All updated without resending any books to my device.

Quote:
One other point - Aldiko is cheaper.
True, but it is limited in what it can do. I would say you get what you pay for, but truthfully buying Calibre Companion for $2.99 I got much more value than the app cost.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote