View Single Post
Old 07-13-2011, 05:26 AM   #6
Seli
Connoisseur
Seli will become famous soon enoughSeli will become famous soon enoughSeli will become famous soon enoughSeli will become famous soon enoughSeli will become famous soon enoughSeli will become famous soon enoughSeli will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frida Fantastic View Post
I think publishers will continue to be around, and will play a role in making successful self-published authors even bigger. They'd play more of a marketing and print distribution role, and perhaps also doing additional editing to an already mostly-polished book.

I think the nature of the online slushpile is not that big of a deal, as readers can instantly spot what is good or terrible writing from the first few pages. Readers also only recommend books when they're well-written and excel in all components, not just on price. I think good books will rise to the top, the problem is that it can take a while, and having a big publisher can speed up the process and create more visibility.
There is so much more that can make a book horrible/bad than just writing/spelling quality, not all of those can be picked out that easily. On the other hand terrible spelling can be a goal of the writer (think Flowers for Algernon or Feersum Endjinn). I hope and expect that gate-keepers/'seals of quality' will stay around in one form or the other.
Seli is offline   Reply With Quote