View Single Post
Old 01-28-2008, 09:05 AM   #21
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I avoided them for a long time, due to marketing hype and the goofy (IMHO) covers of the US editions. Then I was traveling for work for a week, and ran out of things to read. (This was before I had an ebook reader.) There was a book store in walking distance, so I wandered over. A couple of friends with good taste in books had given their opinion that the HP books were readable and fun, and I wanted something relatively light, so I picked up the first one. The second night, I went back and got the second one. Then I had a difficult struggle with wallet and luggage (no, not The Luggage) over whether to buy the third one in hardcover, which gives you some idea of when this happened. I was able to wait until I got home and could borrow it from the library. I bought the next four as they came out, in hardcover (though I was actually first on the waiting list at my local library to read Goblet of Fire).

As I've said before, I think the series peaked at volume 3, but the others were worth reading, and I've re-read all but the last one (I'll get to it eventually). I know it's inevitable to compare them to other "great" fantasy works like LotR, but I think they aren't really in the same category. Lloyd Alexander's Prydain books would be a better comparison, I think, though the authors have very different strengths and styles.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote