Thread: MobileRead February 2013 Book Club Vote
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 03:38 AM   #89
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
(sorry for double - posting, but I tend to lose posts I edit in this app, and there's no preview.)

First, I just read my post, and want to clarify that I only read the first 2 twice. )

Regarding the Romances in the list... I've only read three, I think...

Lolita - definitely squicky, but not as much as I expected. Partly because she is so forward/loose, she doesn't come off as his victim (part of the dilemma you feel in reading it), but mostly because the overall presentation is so compelling... It's a page - turning study of inner moral struggles.
I'd recommend it as an important read. It would also lend itself to some interesting discussion.

Outlander - I wouldn't rec. It's a romance and very popular but it took me several tries to get into, and I never liked the main character. First person. Huge door-stopper. Writing is sub-par. I eventually read it and a few of the others, only because I was interested in the Jacobites, but couldn't finish the series. And this is a real series, with cliffhangers.

Love Story - short, easy, true love story. Sad. Almost over the top on the pulling of heartstrings. Not much to talk about.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote