View Single Post
Old 09-04-2012, 06:13 PM   #5
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
Great! I bought a used copy (Penguin Classic, translated by Jackson Knight) decades ago, but hadn't felt the urge to read it yet. It'll be fun to read along and compare to whatever is said about the version most people read.

P.S. Love the thread title!
Welcome aboard. And, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
very tempting!
Please join us, Paola! Can't beat that local connection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
I highly recommend Allen Mandelbaum's translation to those interested.
I read Mandelbaum in college and I loved it. This time around, I've decided that having enjoyed Fagles so much with Homer, I'd stick with him for Virgil.

I typed that, and then I checked ebook prices and Mandelbaum is a steal at $1.99! I already ordered Fagles, but I can't resist Mandelbaum at that price. I'll try to compare.

Which leads me to a comment for those who might be thinking of joining in (please do!). Even though there are multiple public domain translations available for ereading, a modern translation can make all the difference in terms of enjoyment and understanding. At $1.99, I think it would be hard to justify not getting Mandelbaum in favor of getting a free version.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote