View Single Post
Old 08-24-2012, 07:50 AM   #19
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Those numbers can not be right, my 100k word book as published in trade paperback is 334 pages.
I've seen the 250 words per page estimate as well (based, if I remember correctly, on a monospaced 12pt font, lines double-spaced on a manuscript page with inch margins, as a reasonable first pass guess at how the final result may come out). But the words-to-print-page calculation is always going to be highly variable: font-type, font-size, page-format, margins, how much is dialogue, and so on.

This page gives some examples, ranging from less than 200 words per page to well over 300 words per page.

If I am enjoying a book I don't really care how long it is: I happily read Lord of the Rings as a single volume the first time I found it - if I was reading it now on an e-reader I don't see any reason why I'd want it broken into three volumes.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote