View Single Post
Old 06-28-2013, 10:24 AM   #1
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Upgrading to Kindle Paperwhite II

Of course Amazon is going to put a new e-reader onto the market somewhere in the fall of this year, or maybe in the beginning of December. Personally, I think the Paperwhite is quite an OK reader, allthough I'd have liked to see more customization options comparable to the Kobo readers. However, don't think Amazon will incorporate them; I think they are of the opinion that more options give more choice, and more choice for customers causes more problems for Amazon.

I think something like this will happen:

- Screen: Capacitive Touch
- Size: 6 inch 1280x960 (267 dpi), to match the Kobo Aura
- Interface: Little tweaks, no big changes
- Fonts: One new serif, on new sans-serif
- GoodReads integration (why else would they have bought it?)
- It'll be a little bit smaller, thinner and lighter than the PW, with the express purpose to make it NOT fit the current sleep cover
- Better front-light (or at least, Amazon will claim it's better)

If the screen resolution, 2 extra fonts, and GoodReads integration are the only real upgrades, are you going to get a Paperwhite II?

===

Personally, the changes as stated above, will not be enough for me to upgrade. Even adding Kobo-like customization wouldn't convince me to upgrade now, as I have "found" my very own perfect custom font.

I would probably upgrade if the Paperwhite became a 7 inch 1600x1200 reader (285 dpi), and for the rest, stay the same as it is now. Anything above 7 inch would be too big.

Last edited by Katsunami; 06-28-2013 at 10:35 AM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote