View Single Post
Old 08-18-2010, 07:37 PM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidrobot View Post
This conversion to itself business isn't a viable solution.
It isn't a viable solution because it doesn't address a problem. Anyone that goes into the middle of the calibre database grabs a file and expects it to be a certain way is being unrealistic.

Quote:
To an extent. I'm not certain how making a copy of a book, then converting it, and having a book with good metadata but unreadable layout solves anything.
The metadata gets added to the book when you Save to Disk or Send to Device, Folder or iTunes. In other words any calibre function that sends the book outside of the database updates the metadata, no conversion needed.

Quote:
I'm just saying, the calibre conversion "engine" is simply too powerful for the task of updating the title and author of a pdf. It is overkill to a point of unusability, for this purpose.
PDF is a whole other bag of worms and I steer clear of it the best I can. All I can say is if anyone is so anal as to require the books within the database to have the metadata in them they can select all of their books, save them to disk, then create a new library and add them back in again.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote