View Single Post
Old 06-22-2013, 12:26 PM   #1
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Toward forward or towards forwards

I am currently reviewing some of my work and noticing that I have some excess usage of the word forward/forwards (and toward/towards etc.). But, since I'm not removing them all, I am finding myself a little confused about forward vs forwards (and similar words).

This article suggests certain historical differences in use between U.K. and U.S., but the the wording of the comparison is always "favoured" - suggesting that it is not wrong (as such) to go with either form in either context.

What I find in my own writing is that in some contexts "forward" sounds more natural than "forwards", and sometimes the reverse (and ditto words like toward/towards). As a result my writing contains a sprinkling of both forms.

Any thoughts on this? It appears that either form is acceptable, whether you are writing in British or American English, but do you consider it acceptable to mix both forms in your writing?
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote