View Single Post
Old 08-03-2013, 09:17 AM   #4
~Kate
Connoisseur
~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Fire HDX 8.9, Nexus 7 2013
I have both the Nexus 7 2nd generation 32GB (2013) and Kindle Fire HD 16GB w/o special offers

If you are already in the Amazon ecosystem and will be mostly purchasing/reading Amazon books and movies, using their Lending Library and Amazon Prime - and want it easy, then the Kindle Fire is a good purchase. But as rem736 pointed out, your selection of apps is restricted to their app store unless you are able to do a fancy workaround. The Amazon app store doesn't have two of the apps that you mentioned, and since you are a Nook user it doesn't sound like you are an Amazon loyalist so far.

My biggest gripe is that the Silk browser on the Kindle Fire is slow; I've used Opera on it too and it is still slow. Supposedly Amazon will be coming out with a new Kindle Fire in a month or two so that may be a game-changer, but it will probably still be the Amazon media consumption device that it is now. Their customer service is great, no complaints here.

I have had the Nexus 7 2013 for only two days. So far I am very impressed with its snappy performance and beautiful display. Fast web surfing. No more long loading times for news videos and slide shows on the Fire. Even though your intended use now is to read books, you will probably want to read the news, surf the web, play with apps, etc and in this case the Nexus 7 is much faster than the Kindle Fire.

It was relatively easy set up - took me maybe 2 hrs to get all my apps migrated and settings personalized. If you have a Google account it will automatically migrate your contacts when you set it up on your Nexus 7.

You can still read Amazon books on the Nexus using the Kindle app, however you won't be able to get the Amazon instant video app or use their Lending library if that is important to you. Even though I prefer the Nexus 7 for most things, I still use the Kindle Fire HD to watch Amazon-purchased movies.

The Nexus 7 is a little lighter and thinner than the Kindle Fire HD (11.2oz vs 13.9oz).
~Kate is offline   Reply With Quote