View Single Post
Old 06-25-2012, 09:18 PM   #7
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
It's a good buy, it's a device I would recommend and one I earnestly considered purchasing myself. Samsung tablets have the best build quality. I think only ASUS compares to their build quality. The only reason I've held off on the purchase is the rumored Google Nexus tablet slated to be revealed this week.
  • Creating folders on ICS is pretty much the same on iOS. Press and hold on an icon and move it over another icon and let it go.
  • The difference between an app and a widget is that an app is launched a widget is on your desktop screen. Widgets are ideal for accessing information quickly. For instance on my desktop screen I have a widget for my calendar, Tasks(ToDo list), transcoded voice mails (voice to text), email. From my desktop page I can read my latest email, read my latest voice mail, look at my calendar and tasks without having to launch an app. If I want to access any of these data like an appointment I simply click on the appointment and a calendar app is launched with my appointment.
  • An app on the desktop is pretty much the same as a Windows shortcut on the desktop.

=X=

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Knowing next to nothing about Android (never used it - only ever seen a friend's Galaxy Note phone) I've just bought a Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 on impulse; the price seemed reasonable and the specs decent enough.

Any thoughts on this device? Good buy? Waste of money?

Have to admit that I was forced to do a Google search to figure out how to do some rather elementary things on it; the Android UI is not obvious for a long-time iPhone/iPad user like me! The thing that took me the longest to figure out was how to create folders on the home screen: all the info I found said "tap and hold and you get an option to add a folder". Oh no I don't - I can add apps and widgets (what's the difference, by the way?), but no folders. Eventually spotted that when I held the home screen there was a vaguely folder-ish icon at the top of the screen. Dragged an app to that and a folder finally appeared. Is this something that's changed in Android 4.0?

Looking forward to having fun with this tablet - please forgive my doubtless elementary questions!

Last edited by =X=; 06-25-2012 at 09:23 PM.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote