View Single Post
Old 03-14-2011, 05:54 PM   #1
Cook
Cook began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
My Kobo experiences

I bought a Kobo WiFi ($149 in Canada) after evaluating other contenders. The relative simplicity of the reader appealed to me, but little did I know how problematic the Kobo can be. I’m on my third Kobo. The first one started losing its bookmarks and crashing. The second Kobo also crashed – ie – the unit was completely unresponsive. So I swapped it for yet another Kobo, and this time I decided to start afresh – I downloaded KOBOREADER.SQLITE from Kobobooks.com and loaded it on the Kobo. After a few false starts, it went on to index all my books. This indexing processed 250 ePubs in about 20 minutes.

I was reading some documentation on the Kobo web site, and they advise that if the Kobo is low on battery charge it will be unresponsive and appear to have crashed. Too bad they didn’t pass this tip onto the Kobo support people.

Most of my books are sideloaded Epubs found on the net or on Usenet. I have found calibre (free) to be versatile in converting files downloaded from the net and makes it easy to load your books on to the reader. I use Windows Explorer or calibre to copy and a nice sync app that keeps the Kobo and its backup folder in sync.

Here’s the link to the sqlite download. I wouldn’t download it unless your index (sqlite) is seriously hosed. The downloads will return the index to a “pristine” state.

Nicole M, Mar-12 14:27 (EST):
Hi There,
Thank you for conacting Kobo with your inquiry. Here are the files you requested:
Here are the links for downloading the SQlite file and images folder

Koboreader.sqlite:
http://download.kobobooks.com/deskto...-fresh-1-4.zip

http://db.tt/ps3GIV

Sincerely,
The Kobo team

The “pristine” sqlite solved my problems (corrupt files, books not showing up in the Books area). Keeping the reader charged seems to have solved the crashes.

I learn something new everyday.
Cook is offline   Reply With Quote