View Single Post
Old 04-25-2009, 11:04 PM   #12
revfish
The Pastor of Disaster
revfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-650, Apple iPad 3 64GB Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Today I made a protective case for my Sony 505.
*snip*
It's not pretty, but my e-reader is now protected from small arms fire or impact with a cruise ship, and I think that it should last me a long, long time!

Stitchawl
Very cool design idea. I have decided that all of my planner cover types were to bulky and the hollow book didn't work that well and the DVD case didn't provide enough protection, os I went at it again. I basically made a slipcover for the stock cover, inspired by Juggle4Evr's cover. I took a cheap composition book (you know, the ones with the black speckled covers) and cut the stitching to take the paper out. I the measured the size of the Sony cover on the front and back covers, marking them with a pencil. I then measured 5/8" up and down from the end markings on the front and back. I cut the side of both covers off and then scored the horizontal lines at he top and bottom of the stock cover marks and the secondary marks. I then folded them over and glued them together, making the general box that a slip cover is. I took the scraps that were cut off and glued them to the outside of the front cover to add some reinforcement for the screen. As a final aesthetic touch and extra protection, I glued a metal plate that came on the front of my Texas Chainsaw Massacre DVD to the front. I the covered the rest of the exposed cover with black electrical tape. It may look a bit ghetto with the tape but it is barely bigger than the stock cover but it seems like it will do the job well. I will post pics later when I remember to bring my camera home from work.

I plan to try to make a slipcover like Juggle4Evr made but I plan to see about using old motherboards for the plastic as the polycarbonate should be plenty rigid and add another level of geek love to my favorite gadget.
revfish is offline   Reply With Quote