View Single Post
Old 01-22-2011, 12:45 PM   #10
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Me, I also favor a mix of optimized devices.
Not that I bought them all at once nor would I recommend that.
If you are starting from scratch I'd suggest starting with a popular multi-function device and then get optimized devices when/if you need more robust capabilities.

With that proviso, my current portable toolkit runs:
- HTC Star Trek (AKA Cingular 3125) smartphone with Tiny reader
- Acer A0751h netbook
- Creative Zen Media Player
- Pocketbook 360 "paperback" eink reader
- Pocketbook IQ "hardcover" color reader, running Kindle, eReader, Aldiko, and Repligo

I think I'm set for the rest of the year but if I *had* to replace any item in my kit I'd probably go with:
- Generic flip phone
- Viliv Blade
- Zune HD
- Pocketbook 360 (or the upcoming 501)
- Pocketbook IQ if the price doesn't rise, Nook Color if it does

As pointed out above, today is not the best of times to be shopping for gadgets; mid-summer would be best. Unless you have an immediate pressing need it is worth waiting until the iPad refresh in April(?). I suspect Apple *won't* be doing a 7in iPad but rather a 4x3 *eight* inch 1024x768 model at US$399 with a single core CPU and a dual-core 11 in iPad HD at $699 and up. By then, the new Win7 tabletPCs should be out in force and Pearl screens should be filtering down to the second-tier eink vendors *if* they are going to get them at all before K4 comes out in July. I also expect a whole new wave of Netbooks and ultralight notebooks and convertible Tablet PCs, some of which might even have Pixel Qi screens.

In other words, I expect some fun toys to be available come summertime.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote