View Single Post
Old 12-11-2006, 02:42 AM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
The spellings weren't anything that I considered unusual, but I don't really notice 'british' spelling anymore.

Ms. McCaffrey may be a special case, however -- she's originally from Maine (if I recall correctly) and moved to the UK as an adult. She also has a huge readership in the US, and I don't know if she writes separate US and UK versions, per se. I'd guess not, but it's a flat out guess.
She actually lives in the Republic of Ireland, not the UK .

Many British books are "Americanized" (if there is such a word) for the US market; it can be quite distracting when reading an obviously British book to come across American expressions. A good example is the "Harry Potter" books - they are (obviously) British in origin, but are specifically edited for the American market for their US editions - "car park" becomes "parking lot", "letter box" becomes "mail slot", "trainers" becomes "sneakers", etc.

It's also quite common for books to have their titles changed for different markets - sometimes for legal reasons; other times for cultural ones. Again, using the Harry Potter books as an example, the British "HP and the Philosopher's Stone" became "HP and the Sorceror's Stone" for the US version of both the book and the subsequent film.

Last edited by HarryT; 12-11-2006 at 02:44 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote