View Single Post
Old 09-09-2013, 04:16 PM   #75
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
Of course they have multi-line screens. But since it is a watch one of those lines should still tell the time. Now lets say that the date is replaced by the name of the caller or sender. The date would be DD/MM/YY, so to keep things at the same readable-without-moving-your-hand-closer sized font all the names in your agenda are going to have to be limited to 8 characters, or take multiple lines.
Whereas I assume it will temporarily replace the time. And yes, most (not all, but most) of the names in my contact list are identifiable within the 1st 5 characters. Pure chance, maybe, but the determinant, IMO, is whether the chance is greater that they will or that they won't be identifiable in a limited number of characters. Based purely on my experience I'd say the chance is that they will be.

Quote:
And how many lines can you still display on your screen to get the idea from 8 characters/line if the message is important?
But I'm not determining whether or not the message is important, I'm determining whether or not I want to answer it. I generally make that determination on who it's from, not what it's about. So that's me-I suppose other people have other criteria.

Quote:
I haven't seen people checking LCD watches in the cinema, but when they check their phones, regardless of the screen size it is disturbing people.
I definitely agree with you about this. If the screen on a smartwatch lights up to display a message then you should probably turn it off in a cinema just as you should turn off your phone there. People won't, I'm sure-but that's why I'd design the watch with an LCD screen. Do you know which this watch has?

Quote:
But then you wouldn't be interested an a smartwatch since it means that you have to carry at least two multi-purpose devices.
IMO a smartwatch would be as much part of a phone as a headset would be so I'll score this one a clear miss.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote