View Single Post
Old 12-23-2011, 10:26 PM   #71
jrlewis
SF/F Author
jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Adobe Digital Editions
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm not big on "World-building." I like the author to "World-suggest" or "World-hint" and allow my (the reader's) imagination to do the heavy world-building. Too much brick-by-brick world-building comes across as kind of condescending to me. It's like the author doesn't trust my imagination to come up with a worthy visualization of their creation... so they include everything under the sun (including the kitchen sink) in the hopes of keeping my imagination from "mucking it up" somehow.
I'm in this camp too. I like a story to have a lot of name-dropping to suggest all the gods and heroes and places. I want to feel a sense of the world being big and old and strange. But I don't want the story to stop every five minutes to give me a history lesson.
jrlewis is offline   Reply With Quote