Thread: 2.5.2 Hacks?
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2010, 04:42 PM   #12
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granvillen View Post
Sorry, I wish I had better news for you.
Well, now that it's official, let the hacking season officially begin!

Yes, 2.5.2 is just as hackable as 2.3. The "tarbomb" doesn't work, that is true. But jailbreaking is possible, and it has been achieved (many thanks to our Chinese comrades-in-arms who came up with the idea without knowing they were coming up with the idea for a general jailbreak).

Those who read Russian can read about it on our Russian ebook forums.

The easy guide in English:

1) Install jailbreak for your Kindle type. The installation will fail, but that's OK.
2) Install hacks. Installation of hacks made with --sign option but without --ex option should succeed. If the installation failed, you probably didn't install jailbreak.
3) Remove jailbreak

Yes, one will have to re-build the hacks, sorry.

As far as the so called "Unicode hack" (the name doesn't mean anything really, since Kindle understands Unicode without any hacks; this is basically a font substitution hack), I recommend using our hack, which can survive the upgrade from 2.3 to 2.5.X, and hopefully will survive the future upgrades as well. Its idea is based on USB Networking and Chinese font hack.

Last edited by porkupan; 06-15-2010 at 06:19 PM.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote