View Single Post
Old 01-06-2008, 10:42 AM   #11
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
I think you misread my comment about the price. Amazon can sell the devices for $100 then DEDUCT the difference from retail as schools are tax exempt and donations to them are deductible. I said NOTHING about OLPC or the cost to make these devices which is another topic and not germain to this idea.
It is one hundred percent germane to the idea, because it has a large cost. Who will bear it?

Amazon? Highly unlikely, deductible or not. Whoever actually makes Amazon's devices? Even more unlikely, as this won't be tax deductible for them.

To do this, you are looking at government funding, which becomes an enormous political tangle, because you want a national initiative, but schools are locally controlled.

And even assuming you can provide a reader for $100, where do you get content? I'm willing to bet the vast majority of the textbooks used aren't in any ebook format.

This may start to become feasible when ebooks and ebook readers grow beyond being a niche market, but I don't see that occuring near term.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote