Thread: MobileRead Discussion/Suggestion Thread
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 02:02 PM   #162
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa
For Group "A" couldn't we just do a multi-option poll instead of 12 separate polls?
A multi-option poll is a possibility, but here's my reasoning for suggesting individual polls for each:

-It wouldn't be much harder, if any harder at all, to create different polls all at once than to create one huge multi-option poll. In fact, individual polls would mean writing easy poll options that say "yes" and "no", whereas one big multi-option poll would require writing out the pertinent question in every option, which could actually make a multi-option poll harder to make for this than individual ones.

-One multi-option poll for various yes/no topics could be confusing, especially to more casual members who will come in and see it, no matter how well it's explained. Some may not realise they can vote for more than one option, or we could end up with the same person voting yes and no on the same question, and all that could lead to a muddying of the water. A separate poll for each is not hard and keeps things cleaner and more straightforward with less chance for objections or grumbling if a vote is close.

-Separate polls also mean separate threads so discussion on each possible change can be kept separate and easy to peruse.

-Yes 12 separate polls sound like a lot, but that's obviously only the extreme end of possibilities, though I don't rule it out. We will probably only have a few polls though, and maybe even just one. Even if we do have 12 though, it would seem better to keep them all separate rather than one massive poll with 24 options that would be ripe for voter mistakes and grumbling. For instance, I could imagine, since the vote would be hidden, after it's over and becomes visible in one huge multi-option poll, some people say they didn't realise they didn't manage to vote for one of the yes/no questions or accidentally voted yes and no for a question and now want it changed to their real choice. And you can see how this can be very muddying if the vote is close. With separate yes/no polls, all those possible problems evaporate; everyone can only choose one or the other in each poll, and know for sure when they've voted on a particular question by it saying something like "you have voted on this poll".

That all said, it's up to the consensus or what Tom wants. My thinking though is to keep the process clean and streamlined as possible with the least chances of confusion, mistakes, grumbling or argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53
...I do like the idea of opening all current categories to reconsideration, no reason that just classics should be questioned...
Yep; if we went with option 1 of how to determine what's put to a vote, using everything suggested in this thread (starting from say thread post 138 from HomeInMyShoes), we'd already have three current categories questioned so far. If we went with option 2, a nominations thread, I'm fairly certain we'd have at least one (the second classics) and may only end up with that one or may end up with more.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote