View Single Post
Old 03-24-2008, 03:02 PM   #12
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
what you say is only half true... because as we have seen, eBook Publisher does not scale correctly, fitting *only* to width and not to height. so if the image is too tall for the display, depending on the proportions, it may or may not be scaled correctly to take into account the available screen space (headers, etc.). i agree, this is a real bug that should be fixed, but in the meantime we must take it into account if we want images to display correctly and make good use of the screen size we have.
I think you're on the right track here. We need to experiment more.

Quote:
to illustrate this, i have made 2 .imp files, one 1150 and one 1200, with different sized images in them ; i took one of the images from the Austen books i'm making, and added a 2px black border on all 4 sides so we can be sure to see where the image ends precisely.

for each image, i started with a specific size (indicated on the corresponding image) then enlarged it proportionally to 200%, to be sure it would have to scale for *both* devices (i indicated final dimensions as well), since the idea would be to find a basic proportion which could then be scaled to fit *all* devices.

for the first instance of each image (pp 1-4), they inside a paragraph tag, which is centered but has 0 margin / padding. for the second instance of each image (pp 5-8) i used a div tag which i defined in my css as having margin-left and margin-right of 2em.

as you can see, with margin / padding of 0, the only size which can be auto-scaled to correctly fit on both the 1150 and the 1200 (that is, without the bottom edge being cut off on the 1200) is a multiple of 340px x 430px ; however, on the 1150, this size leaves a large empty margin on the bottom of the page, meaning that if the original image was widened to correct the auto-scale bug (by adding horizontal margins), it is reduced more than necessary, and as the 1150 already has a smaller screen than the 1200 this is rather a pity.

BUT if you add 2em margin to the sides of images on the 1200, then the ideal size of multiples of 310 x 430 scales correctly on the 1200 as well, with just a bit of extra space on the sides. obviously however, this additional margin makes the image *even smaller* on the eb1150 screen.
I have tried that "2em" left/right margin as well, and even though it makes the "box" smaller that eBook Publisher has to re-size into, it still breaks for taller pics. The problem is that there is no limit/constraint to the bottom margin, ever. Unfortunately, there is always a taller height that this will break on. Been there, done that and now looking in other directions to find a "cure".

Quote:
so, the options, in trying to find an "ideal proportion" for both screen sizes (i won't try to find the exact measures for the other devices, however i have included my test source files (jpg + html) in case anyone else wants to play with it) :

1. make images which do not fill the height of the 1150, so they will not be cutoff in the 1200 (ie multiples of 340 x 430). i think this is not the best solution, since the 1150 is already smaller than the 1200, and it is rather a pity to reduce illustrations any more than necessary.

2. make images sized at multiples of the ideal format for 1150 (310 x 340) and make a specific formatting for 1200, adding 2em side margins to full-screen images. this seems like a better compromise, however it does require some extra manipulations for 1200 files. i think i will do this for the rest of the Austen books.
Great detective work! This will help in finding a solution to this issue. I'll try it out soon.

Quote:
obviously, the *best* solution is for eBook Publisher's developper(s) to fix that stupid bug !!
And who has Garth's ear and email address in her Contact list...
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote