View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 08:49 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Calibre has over 13 million users and adds more than 500K new users every month. Functionality and flexibility are keys to calibre.
How many of the 13 million are 'active' - i.e, have used Calibre in the last 3 months, and how many uninstalls are there per month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agama View Post
There are also some technical terms which could possibly be simplified: e.g. "Edit Book Metadata" could be "Edit Book Information".
I would add to that the problem of using the same word/term to refer to different things

The most glaring example is "Tag" which is used to refer to the collection of book attributes - author, series, formats, languages, etc, and some custom columns; AND the list of words that characterise the content of the book

If the latter usage was renamed "Keywords" or the former was renamed "Attributes" that would avoid a great deal of confusion.

Someone wrote as advice to technical writers "Use not many words when few would serve, nor different words with the same meaning, nor the same word with different meanings - lest you confuse your readers"

I've introduced 6-8 people to Calibre, I'm pretty sure none of them are active users. They all say they find it too complicated and that they don't have the time and/or inclination to figure it out, most have un-installed it. One has been an editor/translator for most of her working life and another is a literary agent/small publisher. Interestingly two of them retained the Library/Author/Title folder structure; they liked that bit, from that you can guess that they are not technically savvy :lol:

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote