Thread: Back it Goes
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2009, 07:06 PM   #7
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
505 screen and kindle 2 screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrgauth View Post
You have heard wrong. I owned a K2 and sent it back because it has gray text on a gray background. Is it unreadable? Of course not. Some even like it, but HUNDREDS have sent their back, yours truly being one of them, for the simple reason that the contrast between the text and the background is so slight that it is not comfortable reading in anything but a bright room. I constantly found myself squirming, readjusting to find that perfect angle of lighting. Irritating as hell. I ended up standing next to a window just to read. Hated it. Sent it back two weeks ago and got a refund. Think you should have stuck with the 505 and just got it replaced imo.

No doubt many will chime in about how the K2 is not that bad, but only you seeing it will prove if it works for you. All I know is there is a petition out there signed by hundreds asking Amazon to fix the contrast problem. It will never be fixed til K3 I'm sure. It is a shame too cuz the K2 has some nice features. Personally, I don't think hardware-wise it is half of what the 505 is. Too much plastic, bezel is too big around the screen making it much bigger than it really needs to be, the next page button makes an audible click sound every page turn. Hate those things, but their software and whispernet can't be beat.

But for me it was about one thing-readability. Like the 700 I can't read for long on the K2. Just not comfortable at all.

Good luck.
don't they both oem the same screen? I thought that they do
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote