View Single Post
Old 10-21-2013, 09:41 PM   #25
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by phossler View Post
Thanks for the example.

You REALLY earned your money with the footnotes on this one
That book was one of the more painful conversions... although I have converted worse.

When you do 175+ books (I pump out a new EPUB every few days), you start running into some good examples, and learn how to save yourself time/make things consistent between all books.

When I go back and clean up some of my very earlier works, all it takes is a little CSS update, some quick regexfu, and some spellchecking (catching very minor mistakes I missed first time around, Sigil's Spellcheck window has made this INFINITELY EASIER/FASTER).

Since I have been consistent with all my code usage, it doesn't take long at all to bring those EPUBs up to "current standards".

For example, earlier I mentioned swapping between <sup>##</sup> and [##] footnotes. I can open an EPUB, run a regex within a few seconds, and BAM, up to date.

Quote:
I like to 'poke around' inside to see other and better ways of doing things.
Exactly, that is how we all learn, that is how/why I initially got into this stuff... I saw that most of the EPUBs had tons of typos. As I read, I wrote down all the typos. I opened them up in Sigil and began fixing them.... and that is when I noticed it.

The code being used in the EPUBs were spaghetti code, and it was a huge pain in the butt to search and fix quirks.

Sure, the spaghetti EPUB is ok to read, and it looks ok on devices, and sure, it MIGHT be ok when converted to MOBI/KF8.

But when the future formats come around, it would be a giant pain in the butt to convert, and who knows how the output/code will look when popping out of a converter (like Calibre).

Starting off on the right foot right in the beginning will save you a lot of time/money in the long-run.

Quote:
I did have a question about Appendix A. ADE displays it as in the attached screenshot, and I was wondering if the table was the way you intended?
I was probably trying to stray from my usual table code slightly, and failing miserably.

Note: Actually, I took a look at my changelog and I spotted this:

Quote:
Still could use some work on the tables, i will have to take a much closer look in the next few days. The EPUB is 99% complete though.
I guess I forgot to mark this one with [WIP].

I will maybe fix this up and get a new version out within the next few days.... but if I believe my note, it will be three more months before that table gets updated.

Quote:
Doesn't seem to align correctly, and I am not very good on table CSS to actually understand a lot of what you have
Do not learn table code from me, I am also horrible at tables, and am on the lookout for some good code I can commandeer and begin using.

I just use basic:

Code:
<table border="1">
<tr><th colspan="2">Table Header</th></tr>
<tr><td>Cell 1</td><td>Cell 2</td></tr>
<tr><td>Cell 3</td><td>Cell 4</td></tr>
</table>
No CSS or anything. It is hideous, but all the information is there (and that is the most important thing).

Table CSS can always be added in the future within a few minutes, as long as you have a nice, clean, consistent code as your base.

Only thing I do is add some table captions:

Code:
div.imagecaption, div.tablecaption {
	font-size: .8em;
	margin-bottom: 1em;
	text-indent: 0;
	text-align: center;
}
Code:
[...]
</table>

<div class="tablecaption">
    <p><sup>a</sup> Census office’s adjusted figures for 1870 and 1880, correcting supposed omissions in the census of 1870.</p>

<p><sup>b</sup> The decrease in average density is explained in the text, p. 430.</p>
  </div>

<p>[...]
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote