View Single Post
Old 04-26-2007, 09:35 AM   #48
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azayzel
Reading the Templar Legacy atm. Seems pretty good so far, decent/realistic action and interesting plot line. At least this one hasn't bored me to tears like the last book I tried to read (title/author withheld).

So many books I want to jump into, why can't there be more me's sharing a single, shared memory??? Can we say "hive-mind?"
Precisely the reason you should say about what you found boring. There's so much to read that we need other's input. Isn't it one of the main points of this thread?

Having said that, I'd have to be honest or cruel and say that the Foundation series suffers some dragging in almost every tome of the fifteen. It might seem irreverent talking in such a way of one of scifi pillar's work, but it's honest. The whole series could have shrunk to a maximum of eight books instead of the fifteen. The style is beautiful, but the over writing gives the punch away far in advance. Meaning that while the eyes are locked in the flourish of the words, the brain has had ample time to figure the plot. I found out all 15 plots before the end, leaving the eyes to work for themselves. But I did learn more English!

As for Rama, the first one is pretty good but the second, which I'm halfway in, suffers from "enflure verbale"(as we'd say in French) verbal swelling if that conveys an adequate image. I don't know why authors do that in sequels. Do we really need more words to describe things? Or side stories to furnish a thin plot? It changes the rythm that we liked in the first tome; thus the enjoyment.
At least it shoud be consistent in style.

These works are 'must read' to any scifi enthusiasts for they are classics. All that my ramblings point to is that these stories themselves are very good and quite imaginative. But so are stories by more recent authors more akin to today's bustling rythms.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote