View Single Post
Old 11-07-2009, 03:09 PM   #1
Blue Ion
Blue Ion began at the beginning.

Device: none
Astak Pocket Pro or Sony PRS-300

Sorry for the thread number one billion about what to choose, but, that is what you get when you have a specific subsection

Anyways, I'm looking for a small ebook to gift to my mother, she likes to read, specially in the night, that's why i'll also ask your recommendations for a night lamp to go with the thing.
I'll also prefer it to be small so it can be carryable and allow her to read wherever she goes.

My price target is 200€, they are still a bit overpriced in my opinion, but there is nothing we can do there. As an upper limit, I'm willing to go as far as 250€ if you have an other suggestion that is REALLY worth it.

With that limit in mind, I can only recall those two. The Sony-PRS 300 for 199 € available at an spanish reseller, and the Astak Pocket PRO with an offer of 199 $ until the end of november.

Comparing those two feature wise, the Astak wins for a wide margin, but since screen quality, font quality and perhaps usability is more important on those things, I'll like to ask you how are you doing with these devices.

I've read a couple of reviews and the font seems to be a problem for the Astak, and perhaps some weak format support but considering firmwares comes and goes, I'll like to see if they improved.

Also, good availability of books is a plus.

Finally I'm from Spain, something which could prove troublesome to get the devices here, at least the Astak which, by the way, I've haven't found the way to order to Spain.

Hopefully I'll be able to order through a friend's company and avoid the clusterfucks the customs usually create with imports, specially with expansive stuff and perhaps avoid taxes on the way (tough that's definitely not the intention).
They tried to charge 110€ extra to an other friend of mine when he imported the PRS-600, luckily he managed to get away with "just" 40€ but man...

Well thanks for reading, for your time.
Blue Ion is offline   Reply With Quote