View Single Post
Old 09-02-2014, 11:07 PM   #750
Hoods7070
Groupie
Hoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notes

Device: Nexus 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Just for the giggle, I used the QC PI to swap last & first names on 137 authors, 181 books, 36 books had videos of 3-5GB - it was done in a second or two as I watched the author folders change before my very own eyes in my file manager. Given all the files were renamed I conclude that the files are moved using hardlinks, either by calibre itself or the file system - if they had been copying it would have taken about 4m40s

I conclude that there is nothing wrong with the QC PI, its working the same today as it was last week, last month... That one user in say 10% of 3.5M (Usage Statistics) has a performance problem, suggests to me that the problem is localised to that user's environment.

Hoods7070 if the drive that your library is sitting on is a FAT 32 drive, then swapping names will take longer because the actual files are copied and renamed. On an NTFS drive its done via a hardlink create/rename and hardlink delete which all happens in the MFT which is preallocated space and contiguous sectors - and hardlinks are very small, 128 bytes rings a bell - MFT entries are not sector bound.

BR
Well, I agree. From all reports from responders to this thread it's clear the issue is from my end. That's why I've been asking for and taking note of most suggestions. I still believe Calibre has a part to play, though, even though there's nothing to be done about that.

Probable culprit No. 1 - bloated database
I'm sure theducks has it right about my database changing size.

Just for a giggle, to quote Red, using my daughter's library of 202 books, 15 authors, from a USB3 FAT32 portable drive, I ran QC FN/LN swap:
- 45 seconds to apply the on the whole library from my husband's always slow i3 (USB2) laptop
- 30 seconds on my (USB3) laptop
- 30 seconds on my PC. However, interestingly, only 20 seconds after I removed the main database library. Perfectly acceptable, but not as fast as I remember it being.

Anyway, that pretty much proves the point - a) it's not the number of books you're working on that counts, but the size of the library being worked on. b) clearly Calibre has a limit, and c) the speed is affected by what other libraries are registered on Calibre.

Of interest and by compoarison is that my accounting software (Quicken), which I have also migrated to the laptop, has 12 years' worth of very detailed data, with umpteen "tag" equivalents, is unaffected by being on the laptop. So I assumed Calibre would handle a big database as easily.

Possible culprit No. 2: AV
I have changed nothing on the PC, but my AV HAS been updated and the new version is also on my laptop. I am going to call them and ask them how to correctly whitelist Calibre. I think I HAVE, but I will double check.

Unlikely culprits:
The laptop HDD is ATA NTFS, my PC drives are standard SATA NTFS 72s. The only difference between mine and perhaps the major percentage of other systems is that I have all my data, including Windows system data folders, on a separate partition (laptop) or drive (PC) but that really shouldn't make any difference, as my drives are all set to 00 response time.

Anyway, I won't belabour this any further - it is what it is. I will divide my library up into countries and likely reads, and see if that makes the laptop better. I hope so as that's what I bought it for. Ironically, I HAD split my database as above, but changed my mind and put it all back into one again, and that's how I lost my tags ...

Thanks for all help offered - gratefully received.
Hoods7070 is offline   Reply With Quote