View Single Post
Old 07-26-2014, 07:11 AM   #22
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
If I was looking to future proof the words in the story, I would use plain text--I have plain text files left over from the windows 3.1 days that are still easily readable. If I was worried about keeping formatting, I would use either straight html or epub, but I would keep a plain text version as backup also, because at least to me, the story (text) is the most important thing. Any images are just extra--generally I create my own images in my head anyway.

HOWEVER...

Since I know that I will be (at the very least) moving these files to new media every few years, I figure that I can make any needed conversions when the files are moved, so I store in whatever format I am reading in at the time. Therefore, most of my books are stored as .mobi, some as .epub (if they're on my Aura HD) some as text, some as word docs, some straight html.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote