View Single Post
Old 10-06-2008, 10:59 PM   #9
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Harry,
I don't know about dictionary availability with eReader; I know the version for the iPod Touch does have a facility that will let you link to a dictionary. But frankly, I have never been one to read with a dictionary next to me. I hate stopping in the middle of what I am reading to look up a word. 99.9% of the time, I gather enough information from context to follow what is going on even if I don't understand a specific word in the text.

As for device support; I would say that the only area that Mobipocket trumps eReader is in the hardware readers that are available for it. Its only advantage on other platforms is in that it supports blackberrys.. but not iPod Touches and not Macs. Their slowness to adopt the iPod Touch/iPhone format really speaks volumes (when there are no less than 4 software book readers for the iPhone platform and some of them do support Mobipocket. Since Mobi has the development muscle of Amazon behind them, their lack in developing software for the platform is glaring (Yes I know they are promising it.. but actions speak louder than words).

My big gripe with Mobipocket is that it limits the number of devices you can read the book on. When I buy a book I expect to own it for the rest of my life. With Mobipocket, I will have to ask permission after I have loaded it on readers in the future... of course that is assuming it is still around. More than a few people who bought DRM'd music got burned when the company selling it to them sold it or discontinued their DRM servers. Ereader is DRM'd, but the DRM is built into the file, so I can load it into any device I want, and then use my own code to open the file. If fictionwise stops DRM tomorrow, I can still read my DRM'd books.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote