View Single Post
Old 10-06-2008, 08:14 AM   #7
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
In what way is it better than MobiPocket? That's a genuine question - I know virtually nothing about eReader and I'd be interested to know in what ways you believe it to be better. For Mobi we can buy hundreds of different dictionaries - Oxford, Collins, Chambers, Websters, etc; is the same true for eReader?
Harry,
There are a few ways that eReader is better (imho) than Mobi.

1. DRM, yes eReader has DRM, but unlike the DRM of Mobi or Sony, its a device independent DRM. Essentially every DRM'd book has a code that includes your credit card (its actually a hash, so you can't get the credit card from the book). Essentially its social DRM. You could redistribute the book freely, but you won't because you don't want others knowing your credit card number. In contrast most other DRM schemes will limit you to registered devices. If you want to view them on another device, they might let you, but if the company you bought from gets out of the e-book business, it might be impossible to transfer your content to another device.

2. eReader has reader applications available for Macs, PCs, Palm, iPhones, Symbian devices and is known to be working on Blackberry (And I wouldn't be surprised if they were working on Android now as well). The only major platform they don't currently support is Linux, and I have hope they will in the future. I know I want a dedicated reading device, but I like the fact that I have much greater choice regarding what I use for backup readers. I want to make sure that I can choose phones and computers based on what is the best technology, not what allows me to read my books.

3. Fictionwise owns eReader. Fictionwise might be the friendliest company when it comes to non-DRM'd books. Since I would prefer books not be DRM'd at all, I would like to support them more (and I assume that any eReader enabled device would at least get them a small royalty. I tell you this right now, if any of the current devices were to add support for eReader, I would buy it tomorrow.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote