View Single Post
Old 08-20-2013, 10:17 PM   #18
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
The following is placed in spoilers because it's a continuation of the car phone trivia and is only peripherally related to the topic at hand.

Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
...And I remember an episode of The Adventures of Superman where Perry White had one installed in his car, and that was back in the 50s!....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
Sabrina, the 1954 film starring Humphrey Bogart and Audrey Hepburn, has a scene where the character played by Bogart is talking on a car phone while being driven by his chauffeur. More mobile phone trivia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
If I recall correctly, Perry White's car phone was powered by a hand-crank generator. I have the entire series on DVD, and in this case, I seem to remember that episode pretty well. I believe it was the one where he and Jimmy were vacationing on an island populated by a family of counterfeiters who were using the old haunted house scam to cover their crimes....
Okay, I checked, and I was confusing a couple of episodes, mainly the 2nd and the 19th of the first season. Both involved criminals using claims of ghosts to frighten people away from the premises, but it was the 19 episode, "The Evil Three", that had Perry using a car phone. Perry and Jimmy were on vacation, and the hotel owners were claiming the hotel was haunted, but it was murder, not counterfeiting, that was involved in this instance. The episode was first broadcast on January 23, 1953, so it appears to have predated the Bogart and Hepburn film by about a year.

=== Click any image to enlarge. ===

I was wrong about the phone needing to be cranked:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Adventures of Superman The Evil Three 001.PNG
Views:	333
Size:	266.6 KB
ID:	109689

Note that the call still had to go through a switchboard operated by a real, live, human being:

Name:	Adventures of Superman The Evil Three 003.PNG
Views:	340
Size:	329.8 KB
ID:	109691

Perry White calls Clark Kent from his car:

Name:	Adventures of Superman The Evil Three 002.PNG
Views:	326
Size:	182.9 KB
ID:	109690
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote