View Single Post
Old 07-29-2013, 04:47 AM   #13
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morganucopia View Post
Thanks again Tex2002ans! The code and screenshots you supplied were enormously helpful. I really appreciate it.
No problem. The more high quality ebooks the world can get, the better.

If you need anything else, feel free to PM/email me. As I said, I am open to sharing anything (PDF -> EPUB conversion tips, resources, image compression, EPUBs I have worked on, Regex I use, etc. etc.)

My personal philosophy with EPUBs though isn't getting them really fancy looking... the goal is to have extremely accurate conversions, plus very clean, minimalist code. This will make conversion to future formats much easier (very long-term mindset).

Quote:
Good luck chipping away at your slow burn EPUB project; Austrian Economics isn't exactly Fifty Shades of Gray, is it?
I am constantly chipping away at books. (2.5 books converted in the past 3 days, just spent probably 12 hours today on this 3rd book).

One of these days I really should take a break from conversion and get some coding done. I have some really good ideas which would speed up EPUB conversions. More productivity means more books, more books means more knowledge spread, more knowledge spread means.... well you get the picture!

As to the "Fifty Shades of Gray".... Economics is actually useful, and not some fad which will disappear in a few months/years.

Quote:
When I get a draft finished, I'll share it with you. But thanks for giving me the start I needed.
Fantastic.

CSS3.... I personally am not one for all the fanciness (just getting the information/ideas/story across is my goal). I do not care if the border is sharp or rounded.... or if there is a shadow behind the text.

Perhaps you might also be able to check out Zen Garden and gather something from the CSS there:

http://www.csszengarden.com/

Although as Toxaris said, just be warned that EPUB is a subset of CSS2.1. Make sure to test everything on your actual device (Kobo Mini?), and/or ADE: https://www.adobe.com/products/digital-editions.html

Another idea is... taking apart EPUBs (like how I found that box CSS). Usually these publishers also have their generic template CSS with a TON of styles they don't use. You could always apply those styles to see what they do.

Definitely post whatever you come up with on the forums, there are lots of lurkers which don't post in topics, but benefit greatly from the knowledge. I have absorbed a lot since being on these forums, and even those who do searches in the future might stumble upon your topic and learn something.

Also, sharing code gets people to give their own examples/input... which will make your code even better.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote