View Single Post
Old 04-30-2013, 10:22 AM   #59
RHWright
Addict
RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK ST, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
It's the device plus the ebook - you need both to do the actual reading. And it's the ebook you're making a decision about (shall I buy it? is it too expensive?). Regardless of how you make use of it (i.e. via a device you already paid for) the ebook has a feature the pbook doesn't and that's worth something to some people. (If it wasn't ereaders wouldn't exist or they'd be an technological curio).

What you're really saying is that the pbook's unique features - lend-ability etc - are worth more to you than the ebook's ones.
Regarding the whole ebook vs. reader thought (not just this comment) and where the value lies:

In the end, without some sort of reader to read the file on, isn't the ebook valueless? So, does that mean ebooks should cost nothing and readers be much, much more expensive?

I don't think so, but that seems to be where this thought leads.

To the main topic, I'm fine with paying the same as the print version if I think that's fair value for the product. Generally, I think the ebook version should at least be 10% less; steeper discounting is better, but they do need to cover costs and make a reasonable profit.

What really perplexes me is the pricing of e-comics. A digital Marvel comic costs $3.99. The physical comic with a digital copy costs ...$3.99. That one just leaves me shaking my head.
RHWright is offline   Reply With Quote