View Single Post
Old 11-08-2012, 01:28 AM   #7
Krykorya
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
For the Kobo devices, you define one or more columns to be used for shelves. The driver creates a shelf for each value in the columns and puts all books with that value on the shelf. For my configuration, I use a custom tag-like column and the series column.
As far as I'm aware, the Kindle works in the same fashion. At least, the UI has the appearance of what you've described - and I also use a custom column on calibre to organise and sort such shelves. So it sounds as though Kobo and Kindle are similar enough for Kobo to suit my purposes perfectly in the shelving respect.

Quote:
I wasn't thinking of the SD card. I was simply thinking of the number of books in the library lists. The Kobo devices load the details of the books into an internal database. Everything except actually reading the books works off the database. The faster CPU will make going through the lists or searching faster. The comments I have seen for people with both the Touch and Glo say the Glo is "snappier".
Point taken - thanks for elaborating. I'll see if I can withstand the front-lighting when we have some Glos in Australian brick and mortar stores. (I suppose I can always turn it off, though, can't I?)

Thanks for your help.