View Single Post
Old 05-31-2008, 01:10 PM   #28
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Hi MidknytOwl,
pilotbob has done a great job explaining the details so let me give you a high level explanation.
(recommendation at the end of this post)

Truthfully no eInk book requires any conversion, so long as you buy the DRM from the provider. (PRS-500/505 from the sony book store), Kindle from Amazon. The Cybook is not tied to a book store and can read secure Mobi from any mobi provider. Fictionwise/Booksonboard/diesle-ebooks.

The reason a lot of SONY PRS users do convert is for two reasons. One to break the DRM handcuffs. This requires buying LIT/MOBI/eReader then converting them to LRF. Another reason is to get personal data or classics on the reader in an LRF fromat. While SONY does support (PDF/txt/rtf) it is much nicer to convert them to the native LRF format.

SONY does handle PDF very well. I personally read a lot of PDF on the reader with no issue. These PDF's however are printed/saved in a SONY page size format 90mmx120mm. For those PDF where I cannot change the page size. I use the PDFLRF tool to modify them.
The comment "PDFs don't work on XYZ" device is because most people don't understand the limitation of the PDF technology. Let me give you an analogy to best describe it.
Say you have document on a 8.5x11" paper you want to copy but you only have a paper of 3.54x4.72" (90mmx120mm) at your disposal. If you want to get all of the content on the paper you will have to shrink down the original image by about 50% to get it to fit.
After you look at the reduce page size you realize you cannot read the page the fonts are too small.
Users says: Copy machine does not work:
Folks that say PDF do not work are equivalent the the user in the analogy saying the 'copy machine does not work'.

Okay in the end here is what I have to say
The CyBook is going to give you the most freedom. Because the Cybook supports secure Mobi you will be able to purchase books from most eBook sites out there. Some of those sites have very competitive prices for Romance. If all you really want is a reader to read romance books this might be the way to go.

The Kindle seems to have the best price for Non-Fiction (my preference) and seems somewhat competitive on their Romance but not as cheep as FctWise.

PRS-505 I have this device and no grips here, I really like the reader. The community support is the best. Because of I tend to read a lot of non-fiction as well as fiction. I've really benefited from the community tools such as Clibre and PDFLRF. And yes Calibre converts (LIT/Mobi) quite well, they just have to be un secured.

--
Happy Readings
=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote