View Single Post
Old 05-30-2008, 11:44 PM   #26
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidknytOwl View Post
Okay, I get that, beyond apparently being evil, DRM stuff is protected - but does that means that you can't put it on another device ever, or only the same brand/type (say there is a new generation, for example), or that you just can't convert it to a different type of file?
That is really unknown. You can put eBooks on multiple devices as long as the device supports the same DRM. For example, you can have up to 6 Kindles on a single Amazon account and they can all share the same books. You can register 6 "Devices" to your Sony account and share the same books. MobiDRM is keyed to a PID (personal ID) on a device. Most mobi stores let you specify up to 4 device PIDs. So, you could have a CyBook and an iLiad and a PocketPC and your PC and share books between them. Now eReader is the least restrictive. The "key" for an eReader book is the credit card you bought it with. You input that into your eReader software on the device and it works... there is no limit to the number of devices in this case.

As I said, the "future device" thing is not known. You would "hope" that Sony and Kindle support ebooks bought for the current device to work on a future version of the device... I expect that they will make every attempt. But, this issue is why many people like to have a nonDRMed archive format of what they buy so this issue doesn't bite them in the butt.

I will answer all the following questions assuming you are NOT cracking or removing DRM.

Quote:
...but the Sony has the calibre program that pretty much converts anything anyway? Does it convert Mobi?
Yes, as long as it is nonDRMed file.

Quote:
Cybook (since Iliad is not a contender for me) is the only one that can read the Mobi, or can the Kindle as well?
Yes, if you are talking about library books they are probable time bombed DRM... so only the CyBook would read that.

Quote:
Can it be converted to be readable on a Sony?
No.

Quote:
Which of the three can be read on a Sony, since Fictionwise has all but the Adobe as secure, yet on the nice wiki matrix it says Sony only does Sony DRM, or can none of them be read?
Correct, the only DRMed files the Sony [currently] supports is the protected BBeB (.lrx) files from the Sony/Borders ebook store.

Sony has demoed Adobe Digital Editions support on a 505 which could mean that a future update would include this. Then the Sony would support DRM'ed PDF files.

Quote:
Since the Cybook (on the matrix) says it reads only non-DRM PDF, does that mean it wouldn't be able to read those? Why does Fictionwise recommend eReader versions?
Because Fictionwise owns eReader now, so they make the most money if you choose that format.

Quote:
I've also read over and over in several different posts the evils of PDF and it not working right on the screen. If this just trying to bring a normal PDF from say, your computer, onto your reader and it isn't working, or is that a problem with ebooks that are the Adobe as well? (Logically, that wouldn't make much sense to me.)
It will "work". But, the display size is shrinked to fit the 6inch screen, so your A4 paper size layed out PDF will generally be to small to read. However, if the PDF is layed out for the 6inch screen it works fine. This is how the scifi-az.com ebooks are delievered to the sony and it works perfectly fine.

Quote:
And as Mobi seems to be the one that is the most popular, if I understand and the Kindle can read it, then why would (should?) I buy the Cybook without the WhisperNet, support, them doing my conversion, and stuff that the Kindle has when they're the same price now? (Outside of the looks of the two).
The Kindle will not read DRMed Mobi files. (once again, assuming no cracking. That said, read the Kindle Format Basics thread for more info).

Hth,
BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote