View Single Post
Old 05-30-2008, 08:50 PM   #25
MidknytOwl
Zealot
MidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Aura
So horribly confused...

Alright, I'm trying to fully understand, but I'm confused. I read the wikis and a bunch of other posts, and that kind of helps, but still lost.

Okay, I get that, beyond apparently being evil, DRM stuff is protected - but does that means that you can't put it on another device ever, or only the same brand/type (say there is a new generation, for example), or that you just can't convert it to a different type of file?

I also get that conversion is a pain for some, not so painful for others, and it seems that the Cybook doesn't need it so much but the Sony has the calibre program that pretty much converts anything anyway? Does it convert Mobi?

I've looked at some libraries, Fictionwise, and a romance publisher that prints every book as an ebook as well. I see Mobi at all of them, Adobe Reader on some, eReader on some, and Microsoft Reader on others (or combos of the three). So, if I'm understanding this correctly, Cybook (since Iliad is not a contender for me) is the only one that can read the Mobi, or can the Kindle as well? Can it be converted to be readable on a Sony? Which of the three can be read on a Sony, since Fictionwise has all but the Adobe as secure, yet on the nice wiki matrix it says Sony only does Sony DRM, or can none of them be read? Since the Cybook (on the matrix) says it reads only non-DRM PDF, does that mean it wouldn't be able to read those? Why does Fictionwise recommend eReader versions?

I've also read over and over in several different posts the evils of PDF and it not working right on the screen. If this just trying to bring a normal PDF from say, your computer, onto your reader and it isn't working, or is that a problem with ebooks that are the Adobe as well? (Logically, that wouldn't make much sense to me.)

And as Mobi seems to be the one that is the most popular, if I understand and the Kindle can read it, then why would (should?) I buy the Cybook without the WhisperNet, support, them doing my conversion, and stuff that the Kindle has when they're the same price now? (Outside of the looks of the two).

I probably have more, but I think that's more than enough questions for one post. Hope in my confusion I'm not being confusing.

Maybe there should be an "ebooks for Dummies" wiki added for the newbies.
MidknytOwl is offline   Reply With Quote