View Single Post
Old 11-18-2011, 02:37 PM   #62
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvoegele View Post
So if I understand you correctly, there is no way to have full Whispersync (including highlights, notes, bookmarks, etc.) for the Kindle Fire, except for books obtained directly from Amazon. Is that correct?

Sorry for being dense. I have lots of books purchased from third party sources that I want to load onto my new Fire and I'm trying to weigh the costs and benefits of choosing to use the [PDOC] tag or not. So far, the benefit of not using the [PDOC] tag is that the books show up in the Books section of the Fire instead of the Docs section.
Don't worry, this confused the hell out of most of us. We thought the KFire would come with the ability that was recently given to K3s and K4s to treat personal documents like they were actual Amazon books, but it doesn't have that ability yet. Amazon might extend that capability to the KFire and Kindle apps (K4PC and K4Mac) some day, but we don't know when or if.

I'm like you and most of my books were either purchased outside of Amazon or have been modified. I don't remember the specifics, but I followed a thread here on MR and set up calibre to automatically do the PDOC thing so as to make any conversion via calibre Whispersyncable. I think the thread is in the Developer section, but I cannot remember. Anyone know the link?