View Single Post
Old 06-24-2011, 07:01 PM   #7
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyminot View Post
The main problem is that Windows 7 is just not designed for touchscreens. You won't be able to whip out your ASUS and quickly use it to check your calendar. You can't use it to quickly and easily take notes. In my opinion, you won't be able to completely replace a standard paper notepad with a Windows 7 device because of the OS limitations. For all those reasons, I've recently started using an Android device, although I must confess that I find it rather crappy for word processing.

One final thing: reading PDFs is vastly superior on an Android device. While I successfully read on the T91MT with Adobe Acrobat, I think the interface is better in programs like ezPDF Reader (which is hilarious given the enormous price difference in the software). Essentially, Android is ALL AROUND better for things that require touchscreen input. You might consider looking for an Android device with a resistive touchscreen (like the Entourage Edge) or waiting around until Viewsonic's Viewbook 730 launches.
Actually you can check into outlook on my tablet PC even without firing up windows. But startup on the EP121 is just 2 seconds from hibernation and on my HP about 5-10. So sure, you can quickly check you calendar. Just leave Outlook open before you hibernate.

The problem you are having are probably due to the fact that the models you mentioned are greatly underpowered. They are so slow, they are a pain to use. And the screens leave a lot to be desired, not because they are resistive, but because of colors, brightness, etc.

The new models, Fujitsu Q550 and the Asus EP121 are really the best possible no-compromise tablets. They would be even a lot better with Sandy Bridge processors. There is still so much you can't do in Android and iOS (real multitasking, Android has VPN problems, you need to spend money on so many apps to increase functionality).

I will be looking at Android or WebOS tablets again in a year or two, now they are still just toys.

As for PDF reading, the new Adobe Reader X seems vastly improved.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote