View Single Post
Old 04-16-2011, 12:41 PM   #10
RJMcDonnell
Enthusiast
RJMcDonnell can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.RJMcDonnell can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.RJMcDonnell can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.RJMcDonnell can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.RJMcDonnell can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.RJMcDonnell can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.RJMcDonnell can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.RJMcDonnell can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.RJMcDonnell can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.RJMcDonnell can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.RJMcDonnell can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by basschick View Post
yes, i do think you should send this to your editor. you might point out that sue grafton's T Is for Trespass is written from both the series star kinsey's first person perspective and the villain's perspective, and it was as well liked as many of her other books, and in fact better liked than some.
You might be surprised at the number of editing books that continue to regard mixed POV as experimental. Personally, I love it. Nelson DeMille uses it in his John Corey series, which is one of my all-time favorites. J.A. Konrath also uses it throughout his Jack Daniels series.

I just pulled a popular 2006 editing book called "Don't Sabotage Your Submission," off of my bookshelf. It says that mixed POV could be a deal breaker with a publishing house, and that even established writers get mixed results with this POV.

I believe that as long as a clear orientation is maintained there shouldn't be a problem, and widespread acceptance is inevitable. But, even Sue Grafton waited until more recent years to use it. I just finished C is for Corpse last week (I'm reading them out of sequence). It was in first person all the way, and an excellent read. I met Sue at a writers conference in 2009. She is definitely not one to worry about upsetting the publishing world's establishment.

Glad to hear you'll be reading The Concert Killer in July. I appreciate your input, basschick.
RJMcDonnell is offline   Reply With Quote