View Single Post
Old 04-26-2008, 05:29 PM   #1
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Obscure books you think should be read - and why

I decided to start my first thread - So here goes...

After reading the "10 Worst books" thread, I decided that there should be a counter-thread, books that you think are great, but but may not be in print and certainly don't get the respect you think they should get. So feel free to contribute titles (both novels and short stories), but please explain [I]why[I] you think others should read them. Like wine tasting notes, even if it's a great wine, but it's in a style you don't like, you probably won't want to drink it. That doesn't make it bad, just not to your taste....

I'll start off with a couple of author/titles.

#1 - Eric Frank Russell - he wrote some classic S/F works, but somehow never got into the Asimov/Clarke/Heinlein layer of fame. He didn't like authority, yet had a really flexible mind. His writing is kind of pulpish, but entertaining and thoughtful at the same time. Here's a list of four titles - 3 novels and a short story.

Wasp - When Ian Fleming was thinking up ways to confuse the Germans in WWII, E.F.R. was working in the Japanese confusing group. But Japan was considered too far away, so none of his ideas were used. After the war, he bundled them up in a grand S/F story - Wasp. Ian Fleming became famous, E.F.R. became obscure. Go figure. A great read.

Sentinels From Space - Serious S/F, a multi-level story (i.e. a story inside another story) about power, social outcasts, and man's place in the universe. To say more would be a spoiler. Give it a go.

Next of Kin (The Space Willies, Plus X) - A story of pluck, intelligence, and two fingers in the face of authority. Any authority....(B.B.B.)

Study In Still Life - A roll-on-the-floor funny S/F short story. A paper-eye view of bureaucracy...

#2 - John Brunner - The Shockwave Rider - If Neil Young can be considered the godfather of grunge, then this book is the godfather of all the cyberpunk books. All the comments he made in 1975, are still relevant today... unfortunately. An interesting universe, appealing characters, and a good, solid plot. One of his best...

P.S. You'll understand my tagline after reading the book.

Last edited by Greg Anos; 04-26-2008 at 05:32 PM.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote