View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013, 08:22 AM   #89
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Google will have a fine line to walk. . .

GOOGLE produced apps will likely be internet concentric. But Chrome OS itself is NOT just an internet platform, though it is extremely internet capable. Once the SDKs (development kits) get into the hands of programmers, there will be no limits on how this OS develops. It will be up to the programmers and the consumers as to how local Chrome apps will be.

The QuickOffice project is a strong indication of that intent. QO has been around since the days of the Palm Pilot. A respected name in portable office apps that has always run locally and stored locally. Users EXPECT that to continue. True, Google will add the ability to seamlessly use Google Drive and maybe other online storage services, but if they want it to sell (as opposed to being given away, and indications are, they DO want to sell it), it will have to have a high degree of locality.

Edit: I agree, at this point, Chrome is a system suited only for second PC status for most people. As a photographer, I know there is no online equivalent of Lightroom or Photoshop. Nor does Chrome offer anything significant, either locally or online, to compete with Adobe applications. But that doesn't mean the situation won't change.

I've been playing around with Linux a bit for the last couple of weeks. I believe the strongly related business models that Microsoft and Apple have been using for the last 20 years or so are coming to the end of life situation. It seems Microsoft, in their ham-fisted way, agree with me considering the inelegant manner in which they have 'promoted' the new subscription model for MS Office.

I'm not convinced that the Linux model is all that superior to the MS/Apple model. It is really the same business model as the other two with some minor tweaks. (a totally local system with internet added on)

The simple truth is, in my eyes at least, that an OS that neither favors nor hinders either local or online applications is better suited to our evolving infrastructure. And right now, Google Chrome is it. Firefox has just come out with a primitive phone OS that might compete in the future, but right now, it is way too early to place bets on it.

Last edited by GlenBarrington; 02-25-2013 at 08:45 AM.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote