Thread: iPad iPad mini Questions
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 12:02 PM   #8
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
No way to sync notes to my Mac? I guess it's not as huge of a deal since the mini is more of a small computer rather than a dedicated reader like my Sony 950, but still that sounds so strange! So I can't download iBooks onto my computer and then have it sync notes to the computer iBooks app? That's what happens with the Sony Reader app; I can use the Sony app on my computer to look at notes taken on the 950.

And if I really can't transfer those notes anywhere else for safe-keeping (in case the mini is destroyed or lost), what about the iCloud? I haven't used it yet but I may start for this. Would the notes be saved in the cloud?
iCloud syncs your notes across all your iOS devices, but since you don't seem to have any others, this is probably not very useful to you. It also only works with books purchased from the Apple iBooks bookstore, IIRC.

However, I just found a way to do this! You CAN export your notes from iBooks to email. How to:

1. Tap the table of contents button (looks like 3 horizontal lines)
  2. Tap 'Notes'
  3. Tap the 'Export' button (shaped like an arrow)
  4. Select 'Edit Notes'
  5. Tap 'Select All' at the bottom of the screen, or only select certain notes
  6. Tap 'Share' at the bottom of the screen
  7. Tap 'Mail'
  8. Email your notes to yourself or anyone else as plain text

Learn something new every day.
Quote:
I'll be finding out soon, but I'm still not understanding - is iBooks a separate app from iTunes or is it part of iTunes? If it's not part of iTunes then what is the "Books" section of iTunes?
iBooks is a separate app that exists only on iPhone, iPod, and iPad. iTunes is used to synchronize between your computer and iBooks. That is all handled through the 'books' section of iTunes.

Quote:
I've used calibre a few times but am leery of using it regularly. Does it convert the files perfectly? I always feel like if I convert it then tiny formatting things are probably messed up and the books aren't as nice as in their original format, but it's hard to tell really.
I use it religiously. Conversion quality, at least for epub/mobi, is top-notch.

Quote:
Almost everything else I'll get used to, but I will sorely miss the Oxford dictionary I'm using on the 950. When I get the mini I'm going to try to figure out if there's any way I can use it easily.
It's not the OED, but the built-in dictionary is very good. It's the same as the dictionary app on OS X.

Last edited by holymadness; 11-30-2012 at 01:33 PM.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote