View Single Post
Old 09-14-2009, 03:17 AM   #8
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekaser View Post
My main point with this post was: manufacturers need to start "opening up" right now, and supporting a common OS, etc, or it will be too late. Once the market develops far enough to attract the big fish, the OS will become MS Windows or Mac OS X. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, completely, but I'd much rather have a "zero cost" Linux OS as the tablet/reader platform, rather than another iteration where we have to pay $30 - $100 more for a proprietary OS instead.
There is already an open OS with a free SDK, capable of everything that you suggest. Although it was originally targeted at smartphones it is easily capable of scaling to large screen e-reader platforms as well. In fact it already has e-reader applications, and more being targeted for it by some major players.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android...ting_system%29
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote