View Single Post
Old 11-11-2010, 08:06 PM   #1
leaston
Addict
leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Choosing between backlit readers...

Hi there,

I've been lurking for a while, reading up on the subject of ebook readers and would like to ask for your help and/or advice please? I currently read a lot of books on my HTC Desire phone and it's great for what it does. But, I'd like something a bit bigger and have sort of decided on one of the 5" readers. I don't want to go above £100 and am not interested in anything by Sony.

What I can't live without:
Backlight - I read a lot in bed and therefore e-ink is out.
epub format - Preferably with DRM facility. I use Calibre a lot and like working with the epub format. I guess this rules out Kindle too.
SD or similar card slot - I don't want to rely on the often small internal memory.
Decent PDF compatibility (not a showstopper, but important) - auto text reflow would be great.

Bearing in mind my pickyness (is this a word?!) and budget, I've been looking at 4 possibilities:
Sovos 5-inch Color eBook Reader SVEBK5B - £70 at play.com
The Elonex 500EB 5" Color eReader - £99.99 at Waterstones
Imagin 5" TFT eReader - £64.99 at WHSmiths
View Quest Mediabox 5" Media Tablet - £99.99 at play.com

These are all very similar in spec and price and I'm struggling to choose between them. Does anyone here have experience with any of these that might help one way or another? Are there any others available in the UK I've missed? I've read all the reviews I can find and am still not sure which to go for.

Thank you

Leaston
leaston is offline   Reply With Quote