View Single Post
Old 01-19-2009, 04:45 PM   #1
smithno
Groupie
smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, jetBook Lite, Kindle 3, Galaxy Note II
EZ Reader formats

I have spent almost 3 weeks with my EZ reader and have settled in to the book formats that work/don't work for me. I have books in Lit, Mobi, epub, HTML, PDF, eReader, and LRF.

What doesn't work:
  • LRF are for my Sony 505 and work will on it, but nothing else.
  • Since I decided to get an EZ Reader, I started collecting epub books when they were available. I can't seem to get an epub book without at least a few problems on the EZ Reader. A bunch of them come out with the text for the whole book centered.
  • Lit books are a mixed blessing. They work well enough to be readable but the font is way to small and by the time I increase it to the largest size, the display goes into landscape mode.
  • HTML without some cleanup. Again, font size is the main issue.

What works:
  • Mobi books, both DRM and non-DRM. If I only had the EZ Reader, this is the only format I would get books in.
  • PDF from Feedbooks. These are sized for book readers and work well.
  • Cleaned up HTML from other book formats.
  • PDF created from cleaned up HTML from other book formats.

I create PDF from other formats by:
  1. Convert the original format to HTML.
  2. Clean up the HTML. This is usually adding a <font size="6"> at the top of the file and sometimes changing <br> to <br><br> to get a blank line between paragraphs.
  3. Open the HTML file in OpenOffice. Assuming the HTML marks chapters with the <h1> tag, OpenOffice can generate a Table of Contents for the book.
  4. Save as PDF from OpenOffice. The resulting PDF works well in the EZ Reader.

At this point, most of the books I buy will be Mobi format because they work well on the EZ Reader and can be converted to LRF via Calibre.
smithno is offline   Reply With Quote