View Single Post
Old 10-05-2008, 12:21 AM   #37
HowGozit
Connoisseur
HowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS650, Kobo, Asus Tab 8, iPod Touch, Galaxy Tab, Surface Pr2
Thumbs up iPod Touch works fine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berni View Post
I am in urgent need of a new ebook reader as my Palm has died (dropped accidently). The Sony readers and other like Kindle are not available in Australia. the iPhone is available but to limited phone providers and costs $799 here plus expensive online costs. I only just learned about the iTouch and as I only want a ebook reader could this do the job for me. I have Stanza installed on my laptop -- can I load my ebooks to the iTouch through a usb cable or can I access the app store through my internet connection on my computer. I do not want to leave my phone provider as I rarely use a mobile phone and cannot afford the very expensive monthly charges for the iPhone and data download.
If someone could push me in the way of information I would really appreciate this. Thanks Bernie
Bernie,

Dunno if you actually bought one of these yet - but - my 2c worth- the iPod touch makes a pretty good replacement for a Palm. I bought one of the G2 iPod Touch's a couple of weeks ago. It is as least as legible as my old Sony Clie. The reading via ereader works fine (and yes folks, I swipe, not tap).

Downsides - you have to feed the thing off the web - and the G2 devices seem to have a problem with WPA2 keys on many routers - my Netgear amongst them. I temporarily have to turn off WPA to access the web to load books on the device.
For preference, I read on a Sony 505 (bought in Australia off eBay), or a tablet PC. But when I am sitting in a queue, or somewhere else where I haven't anticipated reading, then the iPod touch is always in a zipped jacket pocket, and it is 5 seconds to get it out and start reading. Given that I listen to music and podcasts on an iPod and have for years - it is just one more thing that I use it for.

If you want to load a reader off of a PC, then go get another Palm (the Tx is similar resolution, and reasonably priced). If you are happy to load books from the web, and have a compatible router (and I'm sure Apple will fix the firmware sooner or later) - the iPod touch is fine - and the battery life of mine is excellent. I can go a week listening to music and podcasts, playing a game or 2 and reading. I'm usually recharging more than that syncing up music and podcasts anyway.

Ross
HowGozit is offline   Reply With Quote