View Single Post
Old 11-10-2007, 03:33 PM   #1
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
Various Authors: Best Russian Short Stories. Nov 11 2007

I love Russian Literature.
I found this collection of great Russian Shorts on Gutenberg.

Russian short stories remind me of old twilight zone episodes. People confronted with one simple moral choice that, once made, results in swift and terrible life altering consequences. Filled with ironically funny and sometimes cruel twists of fate and life and love I found Russian short stories actually were accessible to my pea brain.

Years ago I went through a phase and tried to read as much in this field as I could. Plowed through Dostoevsky and Solzhenitsyn with Joy. (The Gulag Archipelago is one of the most remarkable literary accomplishments in history)

Tried to tackle Tolstoy and got shrugged off as easily as Refrigerator Perry throwing off a two year old on the 4 yard line! He wrote millions of pages I think. Gogol seemed almost incomprehensible but Pushkin a beautiful word-smith but writing in a different worldview is too difficult to follow. Chekhov is great but beyond me. sigh... Turgenev.... Stumped... Admitting defeat (Since I'm only a truck driver who likes to read instead of drink beer and watch monday night football I did what any good American does when confronted with too daunting of a task and went to Macdonald's...Russian Short stories)

I like 'em!

Enjoy

Roy
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote