View Single Post
Old 12-21-2006, 10:54 PM   #1
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Is text input essential?

My first e-book reader was an eBookwise-1150, and now I use FBReader on a Nokia 770 and a Pepper Pad 3. It was only recently that I realized that the touch screen is a significant factor in the usability of all three devices. In principle, almost all that is needed for e-book reading is a big next page button. However, HTML requires a method to select and follow links, and there are many uses for text input (customizing library info, search, dictionary, bookmarks/annotations). A touch screen isn't the best interface for an e-book reader (why require a stylus to read, or put fingerprints on the screen), but it is flexible enough to do whatever you want and the software is already available.

Is text input essential? Of the E Ink reader vendors: IRex and Hanlin have touch screens, Amazon will apparently have a keyboard, STAReBOOK and Bookeen appear to be taking the minimal input route, and Sony Reader is in between (more keys, but limited support for them?).

Reading on a cell phone is limited by the screen size, but there is definitely a keypad that can be used for text input.

Touch screens are expensive, and extra keys add cost and clutter. So is minimal best?

I am now very used to a touch screen, and I can't imagine being satisfied without either a touchscreen or about a dozen keys for text input and menu navigation. The row of keys at the bottom of the screen on the Sony Reader could be a good approach, but how does it work in practice?
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote